Opening Hymn: He Sent His Son (Children's Songbook, p.34)
- 12 Plastic Eggs, numbered 1 through 12
- Put the following items in the respective eggs:
- a leaf–real or plastic (if it vaguely resembles a palm branch, all the better)
- a piece of cloth with a little perfume on it
- a piece of a tortilla, pita, or bread or white clay shaped to look like flat bread
- a picture of Jesus with children or of a temple or a picture of your family
- three dimes
- a piece of purple cloth or paper
- a cross made out of wood, toothpicks, popsicle sticks, paper, or brown clay
- a nail
- a piece of paper that says THE KING OF THE JEWS
- a little bundle (wrapped in fabric, a baggie, plastic wrap, etc.) of spices–cloves would be nice
- a stone–rounded would be best
- leave empty
You can have your children take turns opening the eggs (be sure to go in order by the numbers). Here are the explanations for the items in each egg; I’ve made them appropriate for a four-year-old; scale up or down as necessary.
- When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the people waved branches because thatâ€™s what people used to do when a king walked by.
- Later, Jesus had a special dinner with his friends. A woman came and poured perfume on his head. This showed that she knew that he was the Christ and she knew that he would die soon.
- The next day, Jesus had another special meal with his friends. We call this The Last Supper. This is when the sacrament began, because Jesus said that people who followed Him should have bread and wine or water to help them remember Him.
- Jesus went to a garden to pray. Here, he suffered for our sins. Because He did this for us, we can repent and live in heaven again.
- Judas was supposed to be one of Jesus' special helpers, but instead he helped other men arrest Jesus. He did this because those men paid him money.
- After Jesus was arrested, the soldiers were really mean to Him and made fun of Him. One thing that they did was to put a purple robe on Him. Only kings wore purple robes. They didn't realize that He really was a King, they were just teasing Him because people thought He was a king!
- Jesus was crucified.
- When the soldiers put Jesus on the cross, they pounded nails into His hands and feet.
- Another thing the soldiers did to make fun of Jesus was to put a sign on the cross that said 'THE KING OF THE JEWS'. Again, they thought they were making fun of Him they didn't realize that He really was the King of the Jews!
- After Jesus died, His friends put his body in a tomb. Later, some of the women who followed Him came to the tomb to put spices on His body. That was something they did back then when someone died.
- The tomb had a rock that could roll over the opening to seal it. While the women were walking to the tomb, they wondered how they would get the stone out of the way.
- When they got to the tomb, they were amazed to find that the stone had been rolled out of the way and Jesus' body was gone! Then an angel came and told them, 'He is risen; he is not here' (Mark 16:66). This egg is empty because Jesus' tomb was empty. Jesus' tomb was empty because He was resurrected!
(For other FHE Easter themed lessons, see Easter Story Cookies, or Easter Lesson (Little Kid Style))
Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats