Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spiritual Manifestations - Part 2

Elder Boyd K. Packer shares about gaining his testimony of the Book of Mormon. He says:

“If I expected a glorious manifestation to come at once as an overpowering experience, it did not happen. Nevertheless, it felt good, and I began to believe.

If I had expected in my little-boy innocence some special spiritual experience, it had not happened. Over the years as I listened to sermons and lessons and read in the Book of Mormon, I began to understand.

[An] example: We once had a major decision to make. When our prayers left us uncertain, I went to see Elder Harold B. Lee. He counseled us to proceed. Sensing that I was still very unsettled, he said, "The problem with you is you want to see the end from the beginning." Then he quoted this verse from the Book of Mormon, "Dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith" (Ether 12:6).

He added, "You must learn to walk a few steps ahead into the darkness, and then the light will turn on and go before you." That was a life-changing experience from one verse in the Book of Mormon.
-----------------------------
Then I remembered these two quotes:
Personal revelation comes with different forms of answers. Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explains these different answers:
“When He answers yes, it is to give us confidence.
“When He answers no, it is to prevent error.
“When He withholds an answer, it is to have us grow through faith in Him, obedience to His commandments, and a willingness to act on truth.”


Remember this counsel ...... Elder Boyd K. Packer said:
“Sometimes you may struggle with a problem and not get an answer. What could be wrong? It may be that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that you have not done the right things long enough. Remember, you cannot force spiritual things. Put difficult questions in the back of your minds and go about your lives. Ponder and pray quietly and persistently about them. The answer may not come as a lightning bolt. It may come as a little inspiration here and a little there, ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’
(D&C 98:12).

I just felt so excited when I put all these things together (maybe you had to be there with me:). But I have been in positions frequently in my life where I have been trying to get answers to questions in my life, and basically from these experiences it confirms to me that the big manifestations are rare, and that most of us won’t have these life-changing experiences, but that as we live the gospel the pieces of the jigsaw-puzzle will come together for us, 'as a natural
consequence to the performance of duty'.

Continue to live faithfully, and everything will fall into place. I promise.

1 comment:

  1. I love how Richard G.Scott explains the different answers!
    A scripture came into my mind from reading this post Matt 6:33, 'But seek ye first the knigdom of God , and his righteousness;and all these things shall be added unto you.'
    Like you say, we may not, and probably won't have the BIG manifestations. However, if we really do seek after righteousness, and continue to build up the Lords kingdom, then our testimony will become stronger and stronger....a gradual thing, and we will recieve answers to difficult questions like Boyd K. Packer said, 'A little inspiration here, and a little there.'

    ReplyDelete

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx