Thursday, June 4, 2009

Seeing Eternity

I really liked this part of a book I recently read called “House of Glory” by S. Michael Wilcox:

“We should also realize the words, the covenants, the clothing, and the architecture all present opportunities for wonderful insight. I once learned a great lesson on marriage while witnessing the sealing of a relative. After the ceremony, I stood with my wife looking into the mirrors that reflect a strait and narrow path into eternity. As usual, I was moving this was and that way, trying to see a little farther, but my own reflection was in the way, and I could not see as far as I waned. I remember consciously thinking: “I wish I could take myself out of the mirror. I could see eternity better, but I keep getting in the way”.

As I pondered this, the Spirit bore a strong witness to its truth. Concentrating too much on ourselves obscures our view of eternal things. I thought of all the couples I had counselled while serving as bishop and realized that in every case of marital conflict, one or both partners had focused so much on themselves that they could no longer see eternity. I wanted to bring each couple in my ward to the sealing room, stand them in front of the mirrors and say: “Can you see what we sometimes do? Can you understand the problem and also perceive the solution? The mirrors teach us a powerful truth that can strengthen, enhance, or save our marriages”.
------------------------------------------
Psalms 27:4:
“One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.”

Have a lovely day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. That is great. I have felt the same way about the mirror, but didn't ever think of that great analogy. Just so you know I often forward your posts on to my husband to read. They are great.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx