Friday, October 24, 2008

Bread & Water

JST, MARK 14:20–25 says:
20. And as they did eat, Jesus took bread and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them, and said, Take it, and eat.
21. Behold, this is for you to do in remembrance of my body; for as oft as ye do this ye will remember this hour that I was with you.
22. And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them; and they all drank of it.
23. And he said unto them, This is in remembrance of my blood which is shed for many, and the new testament which I give unto you; for of me ye shall bear record unto all the world.
24. And as oft as ye do this ordinance, ye will remember me in this hour that I was with you and drank with you of this cup, even the last time in my ministry.

I hope this is going to make sense…..Whilst I was thinking about these verses, I started pondering more about why we use ‘bread’ and ‘water’ as the emblems of the sacrament. There are the obvious symbolisms of ‘bread’ and ‘water’, but the thought that came to me was; that bread and water are two of the most basic foods/fluids that people in the world use, or have.

I thought again about the fact that these most basic things are used to represent the Saviour and His atonement for us, and what I could learn from that. For me, I have been reminded that the sacrament, and remembering the Saviour, need to have influence over even the most basic elements of my life. It is easy to be focused on the Saviour when we are fulfilling our callings to reach out to His children - but it is easy to forget in our everyday associations with people to remember the Saviour, or in doing the housework, in running errands, in our employment, or in our academic learning. These are the basic things we have to do everyday in some way, and we (I), will miss out on spending time with, and remembering the Saviour, if I don’t allow Him to be involved with them.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog. When I have a bit more time, I am going to sit down and read the whole thing. You are awesome.

    Visit my blog when you get a chance, and I would love to have access to your other blog as well. I really enjoyed the lessons you taught in Relief Society, and I would love to get to know you better. hoppiethoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx