Monday, May 21, 2012

A Love Everyone Deserves

"It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80′s arrived at the hospital to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. The nurse took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor’s appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer’s Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, ‘And you still go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?’ He smiled as he patted my hand and said, ‘She doesn’t know me, but I still know who she is.’"

{original post source}

8 comments:

  1. You just made me cry. How sweet is that! That is the love story of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story. My Dad had Alzheimer's disease and we had the blessing that he still knew us until he passed away. I felt that was a tender mercy.
    Blessings and hugs for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn. My mum did too, and my dad still visited her every day even when she no longer knew who he was. That's true love.

      Delete
  3. linked it on my blogspot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is what love should be... Love this story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that story...its like the story 'The notebook" .. it does happen in real life...

    ReplyDelete

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx